Watch something on screen, be it at the movies, on TV or even on your smartphone, and the chances are that the content was made in Los Angeles. Show business is big business; the city turns over more than 800 billion US dollars a year, dwarfing the output of many nation states. Out on the palm-fringed western edge of the American dream, the City of Angels is everything you imagine it to be; glamorous, glitzy and hungry for fame. It might be expressways, beaches and beautiful people you notice first, but it's the city's energy you'll remember.
- United States
- LAX / SNA
Stahl HouseArchitectural Sight
For design enthusiasts anywhere, the Stahl House (1959) is, without a doubt, a great symbol of Midcentury modern architecture in Los Angeles. Nestled into the Hollywood Hills with panoramic city views, Pierre Koenig’s Case Study House #22 is dramatic yet understated, much like the city in where it resides.
- Address: 1635 Woods Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90069, United States
- Phone: 1 (208) 429 1058
- Website: http://stahlhouse.com
GRIFFITH OBSERVATORYObservatory & Viewpoint
Yes, it’s one of the most visited tourist attractions in town, but the Griffith Observatory earns that distinction with good reason. This grand, art-deco icon, which sits atop Mount Hollywood, provides what are arguably the best views of the city.
- Address: 2800 East Observatory Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 473 0800
- Website: http://griffithobs.org
THE BROAD MUSEUMMuseum
The Broad museum in downtown Los Angeles rightfully earns its title as the hottest ticket in town. The iconic structure, with its “veil-and-vault” concept was designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro, and houses the contemporary art collection of philanthropists Eli and Edythe Broad.
- Address: 221 S Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 232 6200
- Website: http://www.thebroad.org
APARTMENT BY THE LINEConcept Store
Imagine walking into your dream apartment where every last detail of your design-loving mind has been attended to and realised. You may not be able to actually move into the Los Angeles location of The Apartment by the Line, but you can certainly buy everything in it. Which is pretty much what everyone who sees it will want to do.
- Address: 2nd Fl, 8463 Melrose Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90069, United States
- Phone: 1 (323) 746 5056
- Website: https://www.theline.com
TENOVERSIXLifestyle & Clothing Shop
Step into TenOverSix and you will discover that beautiful, well-designed products and fun don’t have to be mutually exclusive. This meticulously-curated boutique on famed Melrose Avenue showcases pieces for the closet and home from highly-acclaimed designers and brands, without taking themselves too seriously.
- Address: 8425 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90069, United States
- Phone: 1 (323) 330 9355
- Website: http://shop.tenover6.com
APOLIS: COMMON GALLERYMenswear Shop
Brothers Raan and Shea Parton started their menswear brand Apolis with a mission to foster social change through their business. The result? Simple, well-made, and timeless products crafted both locally and around the globe, available at their headquarters and downtown outpost.
- Address: 806 E 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90013, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 613 9626
- Website: http://apolisglobal.com
FORMERLY YESLifestyle & Design shop
Proprietors Brad and Jenna Holdgrafer’s mantra in “buying less but better” shines through in this welcome addition to Los Angeles’ burgeoning downtown shopping scene. The store, as well as every beautifully curated item within, forms the ideal design store experience.
- Address: 954 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90015, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 332 4254
- Website: http://www.formerlyyes.com
ARCANA: BOOKS ON THE ARTSBookshop
Located in the historic Helms Bakery, Arcana: Books on the Arts continues to be a haven for Los Angeles’ creative community with its collection of more than 100,000 rare and out-of-print books on 20th century art, architecture, design and photography.
- Address: 8675 Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232, United States
- Phone: 1 (310) 458 1499
- Website: https://www.arcanabooks.com
EIGHTFOLD COFFEECoffee Shop
Centrally located between Los Angeles’ downtown core and the hip Silverlake neighbourhood, this Echo Park spot brews coffee exclusively from Portland’s Heart Roasters. Eightfold also houses a permanent book pop-up from & Pens, injecting a pop of colour and culture into its clean, bright, and minimally-designed space.
- Address: 1294 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 947 3500
- Website: http://www.eightfoldcoffee.com
With its effortless style and approachable American fare, Ostrich Farm is the quintessential restaurant that every Angeleno wants in their neighbourhood. Though dinner is served every day of the week, brunch is where it’s at. Their tartines brimming with smoked salmon or avocado, and their healthful ‘bowls’ are not to be missed.
- Address: 1525 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 537 0657
- Website: http://www.ostrichfarmla.com
Though often literally in the shadows of its widely popular neighbour, the Broad Museum, Otium holds its own with its stunning architecture, design, and artistry of food. Chef Timothy Hollingsworth, former chef de cuisine at the legendary French Laundry, draws inspiration for his ambitious and creative dishes from the wealth of cultures and cuisines that define the Los Angeles land and foodscape.
- Address: 222 S Hope St, Los Angeles, CA 90012, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 935 8500
- Website: http://otiumla.com
HUCKLEBERRYCafe & Bakery
The lines form early each morning at Santa Monica’s Huckleberry Cafe, everyone eager to grab one of the café’s delectable pastries and coffee to go, or to settle in for a leisurely breakfast. Whatever your choice, don’t miss the Kouign Amann tart: a buttery, flakey pastry filled with luscious custard.
- Address: 1014 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401, United States
- Phone: 1 (310) 451 2311
- Website: http://huckleberrycafe.com
In a city filled to the brim with taquerias, taco trucks, and classic Mexican joints, chef Josef Centeno is seeking to do something different. At Bar Amá, he serves up interpretations of Tex-Mex dishes that he grew up with, like crisp puffy tacos and a seriously addictive queso dip.
- Address: 118 West 4th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013, United States
- Phone: 1 (213) 687 8002
- Website: http://bar-ama.com
SWEET ROSE CREAMERYIce Cream Shop
Drawing inspiration from the abundance of excellent local farmers and producers, Sweet Rose Creamery churns out some of the most delicious ice cream in the city. Flavours constantly change with the season, as well as with what Chef Shiho Yoshikawa finds weekly at the nearby Santa Monica Farmers’ Market.
- Address: 826 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405, United States
- Phone: 1 (310) 260 2663
- Website: http://sweetrosecreamery.com
Petit Ermitage is LA’s version of a “manic pixie dream girl” embodied in bohemian luxury. The rooftop pool not only gives you access to the most beautiful California sunsets sinking into the Hollywood Hills, they allow you to view them among hummingbirds and butterflies, too.
- Address: 8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069, United States
- Phone: 1 (310) 854 1114
- Website: http://www.petitermitage.com